A CULTURAL TASTING TOUR OF JAFFA
Walking with wine
Our 3-hour journey is an exploration into the joys of Jaffa, the wines of Israel, and the epic history of the region
From ancient times to the dawn of the new world: the story of wine in Jaffa
Three glasses of Israel’s finest wine help tell this story as ‘the fruit of the vine’ is interwoven into the social fabric of Jaffa’s legacy.
Along with light snacks and stories to awaken our imagination, our 3-hour journey is an exploration into the joys of Jaffa, the wines of Israel, and the epic history of the region.
What to expect
- A tour by one of the country’s most passionate and established guides with over a decade of experience.
- 3 glasses of wine chosen by Amir, a Sommelier with 12 years of experience.
- A taste of history and the flavor of Israel’s wine country.
- The feeling of walking ancient streets following the footsteps of generations of pilgrims.
Meeting time & place
9:45 am or 1:45 pm
Jaffa Clock Tower
$75 USD / adult
$40 USD / children
& no-alcohol participants
Starting at 10 am and 2 pm
English, Hebrew, Spanish
On this tour…
We travel back in time to a Jaffa before the industrial age, where Turkish Pashas and Arabian peasants walked the land.
Before the railroads and steam-ships would link this city to the rest of the world, Jaffa was once a sleepy port-town, the gateway to the holy-land for pilgrims on their way to Jerusalem.
All of this was about to change.
Ottoman rule in the Levant was severely shaken by the failed invasion of Napoleon in 1799. While his conquest can be seen as a failure, he did manage to bring back to Europe a new excitement and eagerness for all things ‘oriental’.
Before the forces of colonialism would conquer the land following WWI, European immigrants sought out the holy places of Christianity, and the exotic elixir of the east.
Our tour travels back to these early days, with glass in hand, we will visit a dozen different sites of interest, from clocktowers to churches and mosques to the marketplace.
Notes about this tour
$75 USD / person includes:
- A professional guide and sommelier
- Tasting of three wines
- Light snacks with the wine
- Workshop and presentation in a wine cellar or a prestigious wine store
- Three-hour tour from the meeting point
Tour DOES NOT include
- Tastings outside of agreed program
What to bring
- Wear sensible walking shoes.
- Wear clothes and layers according to the weather of the day.
- To enter a holy area you MUST bring clothes that cover your shoulders.
- A refillable water container.
- A day pack for your stuff.
Keep in mind
- Tours can be modified based on the physical capabilities of the participants.
- Tours happen no matter the weather.
- Must be 18 years or older to taste alcohol.
- Please ensure that you have eaten a full meal before the tour as only snacks are provided.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before the departure time.
About your guide
A native English speaker and sommelier with years of experience in guiding tours all over Israel. Born in Boston to a family of wine connoisseurs, his knowledge is second to none, especially when it comes to local vineyards.
12 years guiding, teaching, lecturing ● Licensed tour operator ● Official tour guide in israel ● Level 2 sommelier ● MA middle eastern studies ● Guest lecturer, speaker ● Yoga teacher
I could not speak more highly of Amir. He guided our group of 30 plus college students throughout the entirety of Israel, and every single day was a pleasure. Amir... read more
Amir was the most passionate, knowledgeable, and impactful guide that I could of had during my time in Israel. Throughout our trip, he ensured that we learned about the entire... read more
Despite offering a moderate amount of alcohol on the tour, we strongly recommend arranging for a safe ride upon completion of your tour. In the event you cannot, or forgot, we will gladly arrange for a ride from a taxi or Uber. Remember, safety comes first!
Book this tour
$75 USD / adult
$40 USD / child
$40 USD / no alcohol
Starting 10am & 2 pm
English, Hebrew, Spanish